Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Thoughts of a Mother


Like most moms, I often wonder if I am parenting right. Am I going to screw up my kids beyond repair? Am I setting good examples? Am I raising our children to be the people I imagine them as adults? Will they be independent adults? Will they show sympathy to those less fortunate? I could go on forever.



Parenting three children is rather difficult. I find myself rethinking so much lately. I am trying different techniques, and get frustrated when it doesn't work out. I know part of the problem, which I am learning to deal with, is that I want instant results. And that is not always going to happen with a 2 and 3 year old. Not even with a 6 year old. I guess no one is perect and we all struggle.

I did get some reassurance the other day in the car. We were on our way home, and Brenna tells me "Do you know what I was just thinking?" i replied "No. What were you thinking?"

She then tells me she want to be better. Ok. I was really confused by this statement. And frankly it scared me. My first thought was that we were going to have to start dealing with self-esteem. And we have yet to trample onto that ground, because brenna is very self assured. But then she continued...

She said she wants to do better and finish all her work in class (she has been struggling with this because she likes to help all the other students on her group with their work, and she gets bored, and she likes to socialize). She also said she wants to listen to us better. And she said she wants keep her room clean.



I was in shock. I couldn't believe that she was even thinking about those things. I was so proud. My little 6 year old was maturing and thinking responsibly. My bright child. Maybe we are doing something right. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment